I love Thai food. I didn't get into it until I lived in Portland, and now it's an almost insatiable love. I love all types of Thai food. The noodle dishes AND the curries. I haven't delved into the making of noodle dishes yet (Thai Kitchen still gets a fair amount of my money...especially for the jungle noodles...fantastic) but this curry recipe is easy!!
I make this recipe about monthly, when the mood strikes. It's much cheaper than going out, and with the Fresh Rolls, which I'll post soon, it's a perfect Thai meal AT HOME! You can eat in your pajamas!
I modified this recipe from one I found online. I'll just write how I made it, and you can make your own adjustments!
2 tbsp butter
2 tsp red curry paste (Thai Kitchen brand is def GF)
1 cup chopped peppers (I've used mini peppers and bell peppers--both are good!)
1 can bamboo shoots
1 can coconut milk
1 lb chicken breast, cubed
10ish basil leaves
1/2 lime (juice and zest)
salt to taste
1. Heat a wok or pan on medium heat.
2. Melt butter (sometimes I do half butter, half olive oil), mix in curry paste, brown a bit. Add peppers and a little bit of salt, cook until softened.
3. Stir in coconut milk and bamboo shoots, bring to a boil, then add chicken and basil leaves.
4. Reduce heat and simmer (I let it cook about 35 minutes, while the rice cooked) until chicken is cooked through.
5. Add lime juice and zest. I added a bunch of Sriracha sauce because we like spicy food.
I served it with brown rice.
It was DELICIOUS!
You can also use shrimp. And of course you can always use white rice as well.